I moved into a new house recently. The dining room is a big space with high ceilings– and one wall in particular is just begging for a large piece of art. Unfortunately, my decorating budget is not scaled to match. Solution: Make my own art. I’ve been browsing the internet for inspiration and thought I’d share a few favorites. I have a good amount of traditional furniture– think oriental rugs and dark brown leather couch– and I like the idea of mixing it up with art that has a more contemporary feel. I have a feeling I’m going to end up with more than one creation when this all said and done. Good thing I have more than one wall. –kim
1. Paint by number meets song lyric via A Beautiful Mess.
2. Abstract from Dans le Townhouse. I think this would look awesome on a large scale painting. This is currently my lead pick for my dining room wall using white and a dark inky blue.
3. More song lyric loveliness from A Beautiful Mess. I’m a big music lover and will definitely be doing some kind of song lyric art in the future.
4. The bright colors and bold lettering in this DIY art post from Hits and Fits caught my eye.
5. I’m not sure I could do this and make it look good but it’s still inspiring, as are all Oh Happy Day! projects. Seriously, that blog has more talent in its “.com” than I do in my entire body.
6. Beautiful modern piece from The New Domestic. This is another top choice for my oversized canvas. I love the pop of color with the low key bits of gray. And the clean lines sing a siren song to my engineer brain.
7. From Lydia Lauer, fantastic personal art made with mad printing skills and the names of favorite cities, parks, and restaurants.
8. Rothko-inspired abstracts from Dans le Townhouse. I like the color combinations she used. Google “Rothko” for more ideas. This could easily be adapted for a bigger canvas.
Sneak peek– some of Kim’s own art projects! Cannot wait to see how she continues decorating her new home!
Stay tuned– Kim will be sharing more projects and inspiration!